Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel : "If I can't pronounce it, I don't want to eat it."

I saw The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel last night and cried my eyes out.
Everything is just flawless with this movie.

The cinematography and the score are just so beautiful, probably one of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen. About the story,  I don’t know if this kind of movie has been done before, but this is certainly my first time watching a movie like this. Movies about misunderstood characters striving to be heard and acknowledged are mostly centered around teenagers. But apparently, the same problems are much worse when you are old, and this movie tells it, perfectly. This is like a middle-aged version of The Breakfast Club, and they handle their life-altering trip to India with much more class than Eat, Pray, Love, which I don’t like. Its unrealistic and too novelty, more like a woman in her middle age crisis trying to follow the hipsterish trendy lifestyle rather than a woman looking and finding a revelation in her life. On the contrary, these old people story feels so real, I can put myself in every one of their shoes, doesn’t matter that I’m young enough to be their grand kids.

Another plus thing is, they need old people as the casts and they obviously do an excellent job picking them. They are all magnificent actors in their younger years; the glory has died down maybe, but the talent is still there.


This movie really makes me think, beside squeeze my tears dry of course. My life is nowhere near the end - this is basically just the beginning. I have no right to be negative, to say, “Oh, I’m already this old, if it doesn’t happen now its not going to happen. Might as well forget everything and start living like all those girls my parents really want me to be like." These people are facing more dead-end situation and they still … well, they worry too, but they certainly aren’t as negative as me. Rachel starts her life at 26 years old. Susan Boyle won Britain’s Got Talent at 40 years old. Chuck Palahniuk start writing at 30 years old. What I’m facing is nothing.

And lets just give ourself a little credit, okay? I’m not bad, I’m doing good. I’m well on my way to have the perfect life I’ve always wanted. I just have to stop underestimating myself so bad and for once, let myself happy. I’ll never be if I keep waiting for people to tell me I deserve it.
Oh, and if that does not convince you, Professor McGonagall is in this movie. And Dev Patel, the adorkable Dev Patel. If you don’t at least shed a teary laugh while watching this movie, you’re a robot.

"Everything is gonna be alright in the end. If it’s not alright, it is not the end." - Sonny

No comments:

Post a Comment