Saturday, August 24, 2013

Garuda Wisnu Kencana

Trust me ... in real life He is way more magnificent.



I've always wondered why they only made the bust version of Him, but was too ignorant enough to find out why. Turns out, they didn't! The plan is to make the full body version but the project got halted for almost 16 years, which means it's already started in 1997! I didn't know that, eventhough I'm Balinese and live in Bali. I visited GWK for the first time when I was in 9th grade, I though it was new stuff. Haha.
Garuda Wisnu Kencana is the creation of I Nyoman Nuarta, a legendary Balinese sculptor. His masterpieces include Monument of Proclamation in Jakarta and Jalesveva Jayamahe Monument  in Surabaya.



Both are very famous, both are also unknown to me as the creation of Mr. Nuarta.

I should be embarassed.

Anyway, I browsed around and found out that GWK was supposed to be Mr. Nuarta's gift to Indonesia. It was built on his own money, on his own land. Of course if somewhere along the way one or two investors ask to contribute, it would be more than fine. Sadly, the goverment interrupted him with tax (or supposed to be tax) money and stuff like that. Bali Bombing in 2002 was also the reason; no investors want to invest anything after that. So yeah. 

But gladly, the project is going to be continued. It is planned to be 126 m in height, higher than Lady Liberty which is only 93 m. The material used are brass and copper, the total weight is almost 3000 tonnes. Just like her, parts of the statue is made in Badung, then transported to Bali and built there. When finished, He's going to look like this:

 


Can't wait. It is going to be magnificent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment