Thursday, February 6, 2014

Chocolate Oatmeal Mug-Cake


When I first moved to Utrecht, I was pretty excited about our kitchen. It’s a standard middle-class European kitchen, but for me it’s awesome. It has microwave, oven, fridge, stove – I usually had to make do with just a stove. 

To be noted though, cooking is not really my hobby. I just like doing it. I also don’t like cooking food that takes a long time to make, that’s why I tend to pursue recipes that are fast and easy.

Now, meet my Chocolate Oatmeal Mug Cake.
























It doesn’t look very appealing, I know, but it taste pretty good. This is especially for breakfast, because it is fulfilling and easy to make. Basically, it’s a regular oatmeal-and-milk version 2.0. The recipe is very flexible, you can make substitute and use everything according to your liking. Basically, try with equal parts of wet and dry stuffs, and then adjust accordingly. In this recipe I used half a mug of milk and half a mug of oatmeal. 

1.    Wet stuff: Get a nice big mug. Crack in an egg and half a mug of your preferred milk. Mix well with fork.

2.   Dry stuff: Get another cup. Combine half a mug of oat, a quarter teaspoon of baking powder, a pinch of salt, a teaspoon of cocoapowder and sugar, if you like your breakfast sweet. You can adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste, but use more than what you use when you make oatmeal, because the egg fade out the sweetness a lot.  

3.    Mix the stuff: Add half the dry mix to the wet mix, stir well, then add the rest and stir again. Think cake batter, not cookie mix – if it looks too thick, add another splash of milk. 

4.    Cook the stuff: Put it in the microwave. I put mine in my lunch box, and it takes 3 minutes to go from a cup of goopy ingredients, to a Cup-of-Awesome, slightly chewy on top, soft and cake-y through the middle, and soft and fudge-y on the bottom. You can also put some Nutella in the mix, so when its cooked you’ll get melted chocolate in the middle of your cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment